Friday, April 09, 2010

Another Nice Score on UB

I'm several days late in posting this one, but last weekend I once again played that nightly 25k guaranteed sniper tournament on UB, the same tournament I won back on March 15, and:



The $4000 prize for second place came in addition to 11 bounties along the way, once again paying my entire buyin just with the bounties and making the 4k my net on the tournament. I was in third place when the final table started, where I managed to hold on to my stack well, playing a great final table. I made a few awesome reraises with very little but reads if weakness on my opponents and a number of well-timed plays, and managed to fight my way to the chip lead with five players remaining. I held on to that chip lead, eliminating the #4 player for my 11th bounty and taking most of the #3 player's stack as well before the guy across the table swooped in to claim that bounty, but I still had a nice chip lead when we got down to three. With me up around 240k - 160k - 160k three-handed, this happened:



They got it allin, and:



So the guy across the way flops a set of 6s against KJ on K hi flop. Note that this 9pm ET sniper toutnament is not the 8pm nightly deep stack event, and even though this tournament does add some levels and has a more advantageous structure than the nightly majors on the other big sites, it's just not that deep that most people can get away from top pair decent kicker at a 3-handed table unless it's made very, very obvious that your opponent has a better hand. KJ on Jack-hi board is gonna be hard to lay no matter how you slice it at these levels, and in this case my opponent got extremely lucky to flop a set of 6s in this spot against a guy with two broadway cards in the hole and who pairs one of them. It's a very unusual and exceedingly helpful thing to happen to a guy when 3-handed at a chip deficit at the final table with thousands of dollars at stake is all I'm saying.

Oh yeah, and then 4 hands later:






Now that really Must Be Nice. Flop two sets of 6s against flopped top pair against the last two guys in a big tournament with fairly shallow online-size stacks, all within the span of four hands. That guy has sure got a good idea of how to win at heads-up play, I am definitely gonna have to ask him about that one. Maybe he can write a book or something?

Anwyays 4 large is 4 large and I'm not going to complain, but with my focus this year really honed in on turning my final tables into tournament victories, this one stings a little bit. Of course I did not need to push with top pair and a 2 kicker in heads-up play, but the guy had been raising stoopidly since we got down to 3 or 4 players left, and when you know for a fact that someone's range is that wide, it becomes very difficult to believe them when you flop top pair and they raise you on the flop.

And did I hear correctly that there is talk of a BBT5 starting up sometime soon?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger jjok said...

very nice man!

Are you pretty much only playing there now?

11:32 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

nah i goof around everywhere from time to time. not on ftp nearly as much as i once did though. UB is just a much better product from an mtt perspective.

if you can get past the rampant cheating and thievery and all.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

nice ca$h.

9:43 AM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

Train kept a rollin'....

3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home