Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time (Volume II) -- Review

A year ago or more at this point, I remember posting here that I really enjoyed the first volume of "Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time", the first book by internet poker pros Eric "Rizen" Lynch, John "Apestyles" Fan Fleet and Jonathan "PearlJammer" Turner. Like Gus Hansen's "Every Hand Revealed", these books ultimately take the same approach that I have been for years with my own tournament recap posts, focusing on several hands over a long period of time in the same tournament, using those true-life summaries to help show how these guys won a few of their biggest tournaments. I find this style of teaching very effective personally, and I thought Rizen, Apestyles and PearlJammer used it very well in their first book. There were even several scenarios posed to all three authors, and you could read the differences in how each player would consider and approach the same poker situation. It was really a pretty cool book and I'm sure I wrote here how I was alerady looking forward to Volume 2 coming out, which it was said would focus more on end game as compared to the first book which focused more on early and middle mtt play, accumulating a stack, etc.

Well, Volume 2 finally did come out a month or so ago, and I was among the first to order a copy from Amazon to add to my extensive collection of poker literature. And today I can report here: this book kinda sucked.

Yep, it was bound to happen, and I should have seen it coming. The same exact thing happened with Dan Harrington, eventually, although both of the first two volumes of his seminal books on nlh tournaments (including the second one, also focused on "end game" considerations) were pretty amazing, but eventually even he went to the well one too many times, made the easy money grab, and his Volume 3 ("the Workbook") is about as useless of a poker text as you will ever find, replete with poor examples, poor analysis, and just generally nothing new compared to what he'd already said once if not twice before.

To be clear, Volume 2 of "Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time" isnt even close to bad like Harrington's third volume, but there is just not a whole lot of great tidbits in there like I recall the first book being chock full of. The one very interesting focus I take from reading this book is how much each of the three successful online poker playing authors seem to focus on stack sizes when getting down to the endgame. This is definitely not something I focus enough on in my own game, and I think just the fact that each author appears to be sizing up the stack sizes of his opponents as well as himself before each and every decision they are making when a big-field mtt really gets down to the nitty gritty is something that itself I can incorporate better into my own game. I mean, each one of the authors probably makes stack sizes their primary focus throughout this book, even moreso than position, even more than the absolute strength of their own cards in most cases. That was the one aspect that I will definitely take from this book that will make me a better poker tournament player going forward.

But that's basically it. Otherwise, it is clear to a guy who has done as many tournament recaps as I have that these three authors took only a short period of time in which they recorded all of their hands (like I do most nights) in a tournament in which to find one that they actually won. I say this because, in the end, in each author's section of the book (each author writes one section of about a third of the book which details one particular mtt run from the point where the ITM positions are reached right up until the author wins the tournament) is basically full of hands that are not necessarily representative of good poker logic and skill, are full of what each author in retrospect admits were probably sub-optimal plays made by the hero, and ultimately each one of the three mtt runs described in the book are chock full of stoopid suckouts and unbelievably lucky draws that would have eliminated the author but instead held on to eventually lead to victory.

Unlike Harrington, who basically made up each of his poker scenarios in his books in an attempt to create a specific set of circumstances that perfectly illustrate the point he was trying to make, these authors were restricted by reality in that they wanted (like I do) to use real-life examples hand from real-life tournaments that actually happened to them, and as I mentioned above, coming up with sufficient real-life hand examples to illustrate the many moves necessary to win a large-field online mtt takes many many many trials and many many months of research and of recording every hand you play, and these authors just did not spend enough time amassing great hands from real-life mtts where they ended up winning. Instead, it is easy to see from reading this book that they picked a nice tournament win that occurred for them over, maybe, a 1-month period, and then went back and reviewed every hand that happened to them from ITM to the end. Even it it meant that they showed themselves making a dumb tournament play, semi-justifying it in the analysis in the book but then showing themselves luckdonking their way to victory. In Apestyles' mtt that he depicts in the book, for example, he limps into the ITM positions with barely a stack at all, among the bottom couple of players left in that tournament, and proceeds to make a highly dubious play with an only semi-strong hand, and luckflonks his way into a huge suckout triple-up on the first hand after reaching the money positions to the give him the chips to move on.

Although I imagine that the authors think that their semi-justifications of these plays in the analysis in Volume 2 makes it ok to show them, the bottom line is that, for a guy like me, seeing these authors make what I know to be poor poker decisions and then suck out big time really does cheapen the overall significance of the advice they provide in the books. Sure, everybody makes mistakes from time to time in their poker play, but writing a book that features those mistakes but then attempts to justify them because in reality these authors had no other tournament runs to choose from, is going to take away from the overall value the book brings to readers who are looking to learn how one wins an online large-field mtt. Honestly, other than the interesting focus paid to stack sizes as I mentioned above, I do not see where Volume 2 of this series is going to help that guy who hasn't really quite figured out how to win yet.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger TheHerbLady said...

Nicely written. I started searching on line today w/the question in mind ... how in the 'hell' are these guys taking these MTT down. Every time. There is one particular player on line I've tracked and watch play, get in to games specifically because he 'is' in them because he's amazing. He gets sucked out on most definitely but has the 'bank roll' to back him. I know he does, I've watched him win several LARGE payout tourneys ... most often giving the underdogs a 'deal' when down to 4 players or less ... I know I'm not a 'pro' player, I'm not a EXCELLENT player, but I'm a decent, hold my own most of the time player but that's not good enough. I don't have the 'time' to study, read and so forth to improve my game like i'd like to ... as I use to ... being a mom with a multitude of responsibility ... HOWEVER ... i'm determined to figure this out and take one or two of these down myself. Like I tell my kids ... patience grasshopper, don't give up.

Ever notice that you can take strategy and apply it and when you're in a 'low buy in', 'low payout' tournament you're strategy CAN'T miss ... you hit every hand (more often than not it seems), your luck is peak and you dominate the table most, if not "all", of the game ... but in the 'big payout' 'higher buy in' tourneys ... you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a crane ... aagh ..lol I'd say it's because there are a higher ranking of 'skilled' players in the bigger tourneys ... but then again, on line ... donks rule and dominate more often than not at any level. I've seen tighter, more patient, well rounded players in $.10 tourneys than in $10 tourneys (example)a lot more than I expected I would.

This game is amazing and sucks at the same time. It's a love hate romance at it's best. it brings out every color a person has inside and humbles a person to the depths of their soul more often than we'd like to admit.

This game requires incredible mental stability and strength. mental weakness will destroy you and you will be eaten alive.

I believe psychology plays a 'huge' role in this game and understanding human psychology is a big plus, learning and knowing how to use it to your advantage at the table is priceless. (I've studied psychology due to my own screwed up life over the years and am thankful I have ...it can be quite entertaining and interesting playing on a persons psychological weaknesses and where else in the WORLD can you get away with something like this besides a 'court room' or any other competitive 'sport' or event out there?
Poker is 'war'. Strategy is just that ... there is no guarantees. It is vicious and harsh. It's a good mental training ground that can make or break ... not only ur pocket book ... but your 'psychological' stability as well.

At the poker table, you can who ever or what ever you want ... there are no boundaries.

God I love this game!!

12:02 AM  
Blogger TheHerbLady said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:02 AM  
Blogger TheHerbLady said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:02 AM  
Blogger TheHerbLady said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:03 AM  
Blogger TheHerbLady said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:03 AM  
Blogger TheHerbLady said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:04 AM  
Blogger TheHerbLady said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Poker Orifice said...

THis is about the worst f'n review I've ever read about WPT Vol.2. Your comments are soooo off the mark it makes you look like an utter noob. Seriously, read this crap over again to yourself then if you even have half a brain delete this dumbazz review (personally can't stand your attempt at interpretting what the authors are trying to say in this book - - your comments are ridic.).

Vol.2 is easily as good as Vol.1 & deals with parts of tourney that soooo many are making mistakes in. Maybe it'd be better if they didn't publish this book so noobs like you could keep on making mistakes (although you likely still are if you even half believe what you've written here).

This review of your's is a JOKE!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

All three books are great! Waiting on a fourth. Deacon2010

11:23 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

All three Volumes where great! Looking for a fourth. Deacon2010

11:24 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

All three books are great! Waiting on a fourth. Deacon2010

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home