Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Battle of the Blonkaments

Man, everywhere I look these days there is another post about the upcoming BBT4. I laugh because half of those posting about how much they are looking forward to playing in the series are the exact same people who were acting like tantruming children a year ago the last time we "got together" to do a BBT series. And believe me, if anyone knows about children having tantrums, it's me.

So let's see, this is four events per week from March 1 through May 31, plus three Big Games as well for good measure. That's thirteen weeks, four events per week for 52 tournaments, plus the three Big Games will make for 55 events total in BBT4, with buyins ranging from $5 to $75.

55 tournaments over three months. And with a whole lot at stake, as full tilt has once again come through in a big way with two Main Event seats to the World Series of Poker (typically these have come as $12k prize packages in the past) plus five WSOP preliminary event packages, which are worth $2k apiece. Al has indicated that there are likely more prizes to come (maybe those of us who finished in the top 20 in the BBT3 will be given the opportunity to "win" our FTP jerseys back again this time around?), but 34 grand is already quite a package for full tilt to be putting up just for a bunch of blonkeys to get together and play some pokah. So it's not like this is chump change here by a long shot. And, I have made no secret of my intention to make it back to Las Vegas this summer to play once again in the WSOP. Although we're not quite officially set in stone yet, the frontrunning weekend right now for the Hoy 2009 Vegas trip is looking like the weekend of June 27-28. Actually if all goes according to plan, I will be arriving in Vegas on Thursday or Friday, June 25 or 26, and staying until sometime early the following week. And there just happens to be a $1500 no-limit holdem tournament as part of the World Series that plays on Saturday the 27th at 12pm local time, which I definitely intend to be in on. So clearly, the money and prizes available in the BBT4 are much more than enough to capture my attention.

That said, I haven't exactly been playing a lot of blogger tournaments lately, have I? Sure, once in a while I will drop in if I've got nothing else going on, but in general I have really gotten away from regularly playing these things over the past year or so, really since the BBT3 ended. My god do you remember that bullshit from the BBT3? Talk about bringing out the ugliest, most pathetic sides of some people. It's a sad thing to have witnessed, in my case from the inside as I formerly hosted a tournament in the first three BBT series, but whereas I found the first BBT to be good, clean fun for the most part, I think the newness wore off on that somewhere along the way. By the time we got to the second and finally the third BBT series, several of the bloggers involved were pretty much regularly acting like assholes. Is it any wonder that attendance at blonkaments overall is what, down by 2/3 from a year or two or three ago?

So, the question is, will I be able to stay away from the BBT4? For a guy who has barely missed a single tournament in the first three BBT series, what's the over-under on the number of BBT4 tournaments will I end up playing in?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger PokerFool said...

Just a quick clarification because I'm assuming the packages are the same as last year. The main event packages are just the buy-in, so $10,000 value.

I plan on playing in as many of the Monday and Mookday tournaments as possible. I probably will never play the sunday afternoon ones, and very rarely the skillz game. So realistically, I might play in 20 of the BBT4 tournaments, heh.

2:40 AM  
Blogger Riggstad said...

I basically quit FT after the BBT3 for several reasons. Burnout was definately one.

I was playing Bodog a lot so that took over what little time I had alotted.

My own predicitions that the BBT3 would bend marriages almost snapped mine in half.

Expect the fields to be much larger than last time. Expect the fields to have multiple pros. Those that most won't recognize because they aren't red pros, but touring professionals none the less.

It will be funny to see how this plays out. I would love to see someone rip a pro without knowing who it is. I can't wait for that to happen.

If Monday was any indication, it's going to be comical. A lot of the "pros" played and man can they get after it in the chat box.

I can't wait. The buy-ins alone will be worth the cost of admission. Winning will be just a bonus!

3:33 AM  
Blogger Chad C said...

I predict you skip the ghey $5 Sunday ones and average 2/3 ofthe rest. So I say you play 30+ tilt enducing donkaments....

3:35 AM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

I predict you will play all of the tournaments.....as usual....

5:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I missed a full month of blonkaments. Surely I would have at least made the top 15 if I was to play 50 and plus blonkaments.

Top Online Poker Sites : Guides : Best Online Poker Reviews with Top15Poker.com

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home