Tuesday, May 20, 2008

MATH Recap, and Poker on TV

61 runners came out for this week's Mondays at the Hoy tournament on full tilt, making for a cool $1464 prize pool and payouts to the top eight spots as has been usual during the BBT. I made another nice run, surviving for two hours at the superfast 6-max format with no good starting cards to speak of, including a big comeback I made from being down to under 500 chips late in the first hour after attempting to run a particularly poorly-timed bluff against a guy who obviously had the hand that I was trying to represent. I hate when that happens, but at the same time you simply don't have much choice other than to steal, push and represent hands when you are dealt nothing playable and especially when the tables are all shorthanded, all the time. And, at least if you trust yourself and you size your bets properly, the good players can still fold out when your bluff is obviously beat given your opponent's actions, leaving you with some stack to keep playing with, which is exactly what happened with me last night. An hour in I was down to 500 or so chips after having to fold to a reraise on a bluff I had tried to run, but then an hour or so later there I was at the final two tables of the Hoy. Unfortunately my luck ran out when I pushed with ATC from the big blind against a certain someone in the small blind, and that certain someone instacalled me with K8o. As insta as it comes. But I was behind and in fact dominated, so we'll let that certain someone feel like he or she made a good play there, and IGH in I think 16th place overall.

Here are the people who did cash in this week's Mondays at the Hoy tournament:

8. $51.24 -- Shabazz Jenkins
7. $51.24 -- Mattazuma
6. $80.52 -- Fuel55
5. $117.12 -- a10419
4. $161.04 -- willwonka
3. $212.28 -- twoblackaces
2. $307.44 -- actyper
1. $483.12 - wwonka69

So Evil Wonka uses his devil worshipness to win his second BBT3 tournament, thereby decreasing the field in the upcoming BBT3 Tournament of Champions to a maximum I believe of now 49 total runners. That is just awesome. And EW, obviously, is a dominating poker player to boot, so if anyone deserves to win multiple BBT3 events, clearly it is him.

So today I wanted to write briefly about something I saw written about by Change100 as well as Otis over at UpForPoker, and that topic is televised poker on tv. Basically, my question is, who out there actually watches poker anymore on tv? I sure don't. And I used to be a televised poker monster, believe you me. But I'm not surprised in the least to read Change's news that High Stakes Poker, the WPT and even potentially the WSOP are in danger of losing their television sponsorship due to poor ratings. And this gets back to my point above -- I believe the ratings must be sucking huge balls lately for these shows. Why? Because I don't even consider watching that stuff anymore.

Three years ago or so, you couldn't tear me away from the WPT or ESPN's WSOP coverage. I had the recorder set for Tuesday nights 8-10pm ET and I would watch every minute, every shot, every everything that was shown on tv when it came to poker. And I don't just mean no-limit holdem either. Anything the stations were willing to put on tv with regard to poker, I was willing to watch. Again and again and again. The huge Chris Moneymaker stone cold bluff against Farha shortly before he finally took down the Main Event in -- when was it -- 2003? Mike Matusow telling Greg Raymer he has "tiny little cojones", remember that one? Tiffany Williamson being an anushead, "I know you have Kings", all her stupid splendor. Alix Powers or whatever his name is starting that fight at the table with James McManus. I watched it all, and I hung on every scene and every hand shown. When HSP first aired on Game Show Network, I was all over that shit. I didn't miss an episode of the WPT for the first couple of seasons I remember.

But now, I don't even know when these shows are on anymore. Seriously. I just don't care. I don't even care about watching the World Series coverage anymore on ESPN. By 2007, I bet I didn't even watch a total of one full hour of coverage of the WSOP on ESPN. And it's not like I don't care about or love poker anymore -- if you're reading this then you can probably tell that I am still as in to the game of poker itself as I have ever been, and I play it as much as I ever did. But I just don't care about watching it on tv anymore. And it seems that many many other people share my view.

Do tell me, dear readers, do you guys still make watching poker on tv anywhere near the priority in your lives that it once was? Does anyone even know when the WPT airs originally on its new home on the Game Show Network? How does the amount of poker you watch on tv today compare to the amount you watched, say, three or four years ago?

Don't forget Skills tonight, 9:30pm ET on full tilt. I for one really can't believe how many people are winning multiple ToC seats in this thing at this point, it's really amazing. Hopefully I will join the ranks of winning two BBT3 tournaments tonight or sometime over the final eight events before the end of the three-month-long challenge. See you tonight at 9:30 on full tilt (password is "skillz" as always).

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger OhCaptain said...

Poker TV is still high on my list, there isn't much else on anyways, but I am pickier then I used to be. High Stakes Poker is still one of my favorite show. WPT is on Monday nights right after HSP.

Many of the poker shows have actually kind of sucked lately. The Best Damn Poker show featured two really annoying captains.

If HSP is cancelled (not renewed), I will be watching far less poker then before. I'll still watch every episode from the WSOP. I'm still watching every episode of WPT.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Blinders said...

I realized that you can't learn a thing by watching pros with hole card cams on TV. The game on TV is edited to the point, that you can't ever figure out the situation that made them make the specific play. It ends up making the pros look like donkeys to me, and teaches new players how to play like donkeys as well. Poker on TV is great for the game, but I will not waste my time on it. Unless there is a rerun of Jamie Gold. I love watching arrogant no talent pricks run over the named pros. Thats just some great entertainment.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with you entirely. The networks tried too hard to purge this crap down our throats...it finally got old.

I will always watch the WSOP on ESPN though.

-Champ aka Pureprophet

5:18 AM  
Blogger OES said...

Like captain, poker on TV is still up there on my priorities. for some reason, it really hasn't fleeted my interest. I feel like a Star Wars junkie who just hasn't let go of that boom. I just can't wait for Tuesday's from 8-10 on ESPN. I agree with blinders on how it doesn't teach shit, but I watch it for the glitz and material aspects because my TV brain still eats that stuff up, however, anything Jamie Gold makes me feel like getting beaten by AceJack

5:34 AM  
Blogger Mondogarage said...

About the only thing I like watching is *new* episodes of WSOP coverage, and High Stakes Poker.

Thing is, ESPN crams the same episodes down our throats 35 times apiece. And it's a wonder ratings drop?

5:40 AM  
Blogger WillWonka said...

I also still watch poker. I still record WPT and I am looking forward to the WSOP coming up soon. If it is poker and not a repeat, you can probably bet I will be recording it and watching it late at night.

10:22 AM  
Blogger KajaPoker said...

i only watch the NBC heads-up. No more WPT or even HSP. I will watch the WSOP coverage when it comes up.

I wanted to ask you about my bustout hand in the MATH last night. I was wondering if there was any logic behind the way you played it. Did you put me on a blind shove-squeeze or a low pair and felt you were either racing or ahead? I know you're a thinking player and since I don't have a lot of 6-max experience, I was wondering if there was something I could learn from this. Thanks.

11:31 AM  
Blogger smokkee said...

Poker After Dark IMO is the best show going. A 6-handed winner take all sng with some of the best players in the world going at it and showing every hand played throughout. Nothing is edited out.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Fred aka TwoBlackAces said...

I tape all poker shows. I then watch them when I go to bed, it helps me fall asleep.

The only ones I watch live, are new episodes of HSP, and WSOP.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Wwonka said...

"And EW, obviously, is a dominating poker player to boot, so if anyone deserves to win multiple BBT3 events, clearly it is him."

seats won wwonka69=2 HOY=0

I won 2 seats YOU made a deal. Yes I know I am a Donk but trying to get better.

The only shows I watch are PAD and WSOP on espn. Most of the other Poker shows SUCK Monkey Balls.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Julius_Goat said...

Love HSP. Don't watch much else. Lon Maceachearnearnn makes me want to eat chainsaws.

8:56 PM  
Blogger 1Queens Up1 said...

to echo some earlier sentiments:

I agrre Poker after Dark is still a must watch because you see most of the hands, they interview the pros on the spot and ask what was going through their head. Its the best show out there.

But I agree with you on the WPT and WSOP coverage, I have been all over that stuff since Varkonyi (and sporadically before that) but they dont even tell you where the button is! Is the guy limping from EP or LP? Who knows!

I barely watched the WSOP coverage last year because I purchased the final table and watched it live, but i do watch it if ESPN is showing it (and nothing better is on).

9:15 PM  
Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I haven't seen a poker show in quite some time. If there's no learning benefit, then there's no benefit, period. I can no longer watch that garbage for entertainment. HSP was the only thing I watched but now, I don't even know if it's on or not and I pretty much no longer care.

12:01 AM  
Blogger emptyman said...

I'm in a very similar situation. I watched WSOP for 3 years, HSP for seasons 3, 4, and part of 5.

I think for me it comes down to, play poker or watch poker?

If watching Farha piss money down his leg increased MY bankroll, it would be a different story.

Plus, Mario Kart Wii. Need I say more?

1:00 AM  
Blogger Zeem said...

I watch the WSOP final table live at my buddy's house, we stay up all night to watch the donk on donk violence.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Avi said...

Personally, I watch as much poker on TV as I can. However, I refused to watch crap like Celebrity Poker Showdown, the speed poker crap they put on once and a host of other shitty ass poker shows. I love the WSOP and wish they aired more mixed games. I also wish the final table wasn't full of a bunch of no-name hacks who after finishing in 8th place get a deal to be a new PokerStars "Pro." I played against the guy who finished third or fourth on PS; he is just plain terrible. How they can base his expertise on one tournament is beyond me. I think the reason nobody cares about the WSOP is because there are 12,000 people entering which means you are sure to get a final table full of donks (although there were some hidden gems in '07 like the Russian guy Alex).

I am addicted to HSP and wish they played new episodes 24 hours a day. I never miss Poker After Dark since they show just about every hand and I almost never know the outcome in advance. It's hard to watch NBC's Heads-up when CardPlayer posts the winner on the cover a month before the show airs. That's six matches now worth watching right there and if I know who he beat, add another six matches.

I am upset that they canceled Poker Superstars. That was one of the more interesting shows. OK. I am ranting. Bottom line, I like poker on TV. They need to change things up a bit but I still find it interesting. However, I will never watch one second of the '06 or '07 Main Events because of the winners. They should have disqualified Gold so someone who can actually play the game won. It just would have been more interesting. Nobody wants to see two last place teams in the championship game, right?
~TMS

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home