Monday, September 25, 2006

Low Poker Weekend

I'm kinda like that new Monday Night Football ad campaign: to me, Monday is one of the best days of the week. Monday Night Football, my fantasy football games are often finalized, and, of course, it's time for Mondays at the Hoy again!



Come one and come all to the $20 buyin no-limit holdem tournament that is designed for you to play in. I only ever post or talk about the weekly Hoy tournament here on the blog, so it really is a tournament for you guys who read my daily ramblings. And as I always say, it's a great chance to tune up and build up your notes databases heading into another full week of blogger tournaments. And to win a good deal of money in the process, since we play as always for the $20 buyin. See you tonight on pokerstars (password is "hammer" as always)!

So I hardly played any poker this weekend. Long story short, the Hammer Wife and I have finally taken the probably long overdue step of moving the Hammer Baby, who's not really a baby anymore after she turned one last week, into her older sister's room (who is 2 years old). As those of you who have had the misfortune of doing this before will know, it isn't fun. Let's just say that last night my wife and I both got to sleep straight through from midnight to 4:03am, and are thrilled about it. As such, it doesn't make sense for me to play too many large mtt's these days, which is fine. The mtt's aren't going anywhere, the kids will probably be sleeping normally in a few days to a few weeks is my guess, and let's be honest -- now that Iakaris is playing the 20k and the 40k a lot of these nights, what chance do I really have of taking down the big prize anyways? Seriously, that man is on a veritable tear -- go check out his wordliness himself and read all about it.

What poker I did play this weekend was sick, wrong and short-lived. On Friday I sat in the 20k guaranteed on full tilt, but within minutes the Hammer girls were awake, I disappeared for a while, was short when I came back and then still got hosed when my KK lost to a (moronic) allin call by my opponent holding A6. Naturally, the first Ace on the flop wasn't enough, but at least the trip Aces on the turn was enough to put me out of that misery. I did not play on Saturday, and then on Sunday I played the 30k again, this time with Joanne and Iak on the girlie chat, and you know what happened? Joanne and I were both bad beat out within the first two hands. Sick. As bad as my beat was -- AK losing to an allin monkey on the A64 flop with A2, only to see a 2 hit the turn and IGH in 1240th place) -- Joanne's was worse. She just did it the old-fashioned way, with her AA losing allin preflop to another pushmonkey who started with 66 in the hole, but then flopped a 6 and JGH in the 1240's as well. Unreal. But such is life in poker, and especially in the large mtts where the first hour really can be Monkey Hour if you get the right people at your table early.

Sadly, other than a $20 loss over about an hour of 3-6 hilo, and a bubble 4th place finish in a $20 HORSE sng last night with Joanne, that was the sum total of my weekend pokerings. I'm sure it will get better over a short period of time with the girls' sleeping, and I'll soon be back to my regular nightly double-donations to the 20k and the 40k, but until then I guessing I will do just the blogger tournaments, maybe the 20k if the kids sound quiet, and probably a lot of cash games and less 20x180's, less of the 11:30pm $20 mtt on pokerstars, etc. But if I disappear for an hour from the Hoy tonight (which I will be able to easily afford due to my large early chip lead), you'll know where I am off to.

You know what's one thing I've really taken to doing lately whenever I have one of those donkeyass mofos at my table? You know the kind, who just cannot shut up no matter how much or how little anyone responds to them? You know, like I used to be in 2005? Yeah, like that. Well, one thing I have found works very well is to wait until someone sucks out on them in a hand for any decent amount of chips, and then type "nice hand" into the chat, as if I didn't even realize it was a suckout. The donkey mofo won't usually respond, but whether he does or not, you know it pisses his shit off.

That's all for today. See you tonight at Mondays at the Hoy! For now, go read someone's writeup of the Bash at the Boathouse this weekend, which I've heard (of course) was an absolute blast. The only Bash mention I'm finding at this early hour on a Monday morning after a weekend of public drunkenness and debauchery is Drizz, although there is not much substance even there yet. But just the reference to my old hometown standby convenience chain, Wawa, is enough to make my mouth water. Mmmmmmm....chicken salad hoagie (classic, not shortie, you wussies!)

9 Comments:

Blogger slb159 said...

Yeah, I saw that A2 hand...they must have played it 'cause it was s00ted. I saw a guy (same guy) at Ick's table push with 84 and J6 (J6 was actually a call, I think now) and win them both. I couldn't even watch.
Oh, if you read my blog, you'd see I posted a short recap of the Bash last night. ;)

9:05 PM  
Blogger CC said...

I hope to sneak in tonight.

10:42 PM  
Blogger smokkee said...

i wuz wondering what happened to you in the 30k last night. just as i wuz ready to open your table, you were knocked out. i didn't cash so it turned out to be a waste of time for me anyway.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Joanada said...

Yeah it was monkey hour for sure. You neglected to mention your greatest fan at the HORSE table though lol...

I believe it was "I have won two of these this will be my third..."

Classic

3:00 AM  
Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

yeah...no joy for me in the 20k...got very stupid when I didnt need to and busted in the three hundreds.

cya at MATH and the 20k (who's kiddin who, Hoy?)

3:01 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Oh I'll be there in the 20k, Iak. I just think I will lay off the 40k for a little while until the kids' sleeping situation regulates itself a bit.

See you at the Hoy tonight.

3:31 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Hoy, I've finally started using BlogLines again, mostly so I can read your posts (no freezing issues there). I was hoping you could offer me some advice as to what nightly (or weekly) MTTs you play, including the buy-in amount, site, day of the week, start time, and average amount of participants (or for that matter how long the tourney usually takes). I'm really interested in trying some of these larger MTTs, so I know your insight would be invaluable.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WAWA!

More convenience store goodness today, tomorrow, and Thursday :)

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home