Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Bastardly Tactic

This has come up with various bloggers over the last few days so I thought I would post it here for everyone to consider. This only applies to those of you who play often on pokerstars (for some reason there are still many of us), and it's a little tactic I use when I am pushing in on someone. It is an especially nice trick if I basically know I've snowed someone and they are about to dump me a significant slice of their stack. I will quote directly from my response to a comment to yesterday's post:

"I do purposely leave $1 behind with most of my allin bets on pokerstars. That's because I want to be able to talk smack to the victim while they ponder handing over their chips to me, and pokerstars doesn't allow chat during an allin situation (dont ask me the possible justification for this move). I'm all about psychological warfare man, and that $1 is often enough to megatilt someone with my pompous banter. You should try it sometime, it can be very liberating on pokerstars."

You should try it. There's nothing like taunting someone while they agonize over a bet that you already know they can't lay down, in a manner that is not usually available to you on pokerstars.

Is this wrong (said a la George Kostanza, of course)?

By the way, here is a really great quote for all the New Yorkers out there, from one of the funniest sites around. It is from Overheard in New York, a website that posts actual conversations that are actually heard and said by actual New Yorkers:

Girl #1: Can I see your digital camera for a sec?
Girl #2: Not now.
Girl #1: Why not?
Girl #2: This is 125th Street. A little risky to be taking out expensive electronics.
Girl #1: Understood. I'll ask again at 86th.

--4 train

2 Comments:

Blogger iamhoff said...

It is amusing when you do that, and I like the idea of still being able to chat. Just glad I haven't been on the receiving end of that. And love the NYC conversation.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Thanks, Hoff. If you know Manhattan well, it is just really funny to me how clear some of the "lines" are as far as where is safe and where is not. I would so have picked 86th street myself as the dividing line if I were riding the 4 train.

See you tonight at the Mookie?

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home